Melinda's favourites book montage

The Mark of Athena
The Son of Neptune
The Lost Hero
The Last Olympian
The Battle of the Labyrinth
The Titan's Curse
The Sea of Monsters
The Lightning Thief
Throne of Glass
City of Glass
The Red Pyramid
City of Ashes
City of Bones
The Golden Door
The Farseekers
Obernewtyn
The Poison Diaries
Mockingjay
Catching Fire
The Hunger Games


Melinda's favorite books »

Monday 17 December 2012

Review: The Iron King (The Iron Fey 1) by Julie Kagawa

Synopsis (from Goodreads)
Meghan Chase has a secret destiny; one she could never have imagined.
Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school or at home.
When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change.

But she could never have guessed the truth - that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face; and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart. 


The Iron King (The Iron Fey, #1)

This was a book that I had heard mix reviews about but I thought I would like so I decided to give it a go. I did enjoy this book, there were somethings that annoyed me a little but I enjoyed the setting and plot.

What did I like?

  • I loved the world of the Fey. The descriptions where enough to let my imagination run wild without slowing down the story. I could envisage the differences between the realms. 
  • I love the Fey. I have always been a fan of faeries and the like and the number of different magical creatures in the book was heaven for me.
  • Any book with a talking animal, in this case a cat, appeals to me. I loved Grim. I can't wait to get to know him a bit better and see the reasons that drive him, because I feel we didn't know this yet.
  • I loved most of the characters. I also loved the complexities in the back stories of a couple of the characters, in particular Puck and Ash.
  • I just loved the story. I am not particularly sure why but I just really enjoyed it.
What didn't I like?
  • I found Meghan to be a fairly soft character, and she annoyed me because of it. She was really jumpy and screamed heaps in the start. She then seemed to not be scared about much near the end and I found that to be a little unrealistic. I also found her sudden shooting prowess to be a little bit unrealistic as well.
I really enjoyed this book so I gave it 4/5 stars.

Mel.

Up next: Review: The Iron Daughter (The Iron Fey 2) by Julie Kagawa

No comments:

Post a Comment