Melinda's favourites book montage

The Mark of Athena
The Son of Neptune
The Lost Hero
The Last Olympian
The Battle of the Labyrinth
The Titan's Curse
The Sea of Monsters
The Lightning Thief
Throne of Glass
City of Glass
The Red Pyramid
City of Ashes
City of Bones
The Golden Door
The Farseekers
Obernewtyn
The Poison Diaries
Mockingjay
Catching Fire
The Hunger Games


Melinda's favorite books »

Friday 14 December 2012

Review: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Synopsis (from Goodreads)
Diagnosed with Stage IV thyroid cancer at 13, Hazel was prepared to die until, at 14, a medical miracle shrunk the tumours in her lungs... for now. 
Two years post-miracle, sixteen-year-old Hazel is post-everything else, too; post-high school, post-friends and post-normalcy. And even though she could live for a long time (whatever that means), Hazel lives tethered to an oxygen tank, the tumours tenuously kept at bay with a constant chemical assault. 
Enter Augustus Waters. A match made at cancer kid support group, Augustus is gorgeous, in remission, and shockingly to her, interested in Hazel. Being with Augustus is both an unexpected destination and a long-needed journey, pushing Hazel to re-examine how sickness and health, life and death, will define her and the legacy that everyone leaves behind.

The Fault in Our Stars

Firstly, if you haven't read this book then I highly recommend that you do. Secondly, when you do read it make sure that you have a box of tissues with you because it is a tearjerker.


I have to say that I generally don't read contemporary/realistic young adult books. I prefer my books to be fantasy and the content of it not happening in the world around me. I decided to read this book because I had heard so many great reviews about it, and I thought that I had better try it.

I am so glad that I did. This book really blew me away! It was such a rich story and I got very emotionally involved in the story and the characters.

What did I like about this book?

  • Everything
  • The characters were amazing. They were easy to empathise with and you felt like you were going through the same emotions as the characters.
  • It was very thought provoking book. I won't go into too much depth here, but it really made me think about a lot of things.
  • The love in the book between the two main characters was so pure and strong. It was beautiful. 
  • The description of the places that Hazel goes was really detailed. I was able to picture it clearly, even though I had never been to any of the places.
  • The writing and the language was brilliant. It flowed really well and encouraged you to feel the emotions of the characters. The descriptions, whilst vivid, and the conversations, whilst informative, didn't take away from the story or slow it down in any way. It was just a beautifully written book.
  • The ending was really well done, even if it left me wondering what happened to everyone. I felt that it was the perfect way to end the book.

What didn't I like about this book?

  • Absolutely nothing, I loved it all!

This was such a beautiful book, that I could easily have read in a day. It was thought provoking and also insightful. It has made me want to go and read more of John Green's work, even if I am not usually into the genre.

I rate this book 5/5 stars because it was brilliant!

Mel.

Up next: Seven on Saturday



4 comments:

  1. Mel, I have heard so much about this book! Thank you for linking it in to Books You Loved. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's ok! Thanks for the comment! :)

      Delete
  2. I have seen this around a lot too...thanks for the post. Nice header.

    Stopping by from Carole's December Books I Loved. I am in that list as #4.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! It has seemed to be talked about everywhere and I recommend it if you haven't yet read it because it was a really good book. I will have to go and check out your post! :)

      Delete